Saturday, June 13, 2009

Running from Fibromyalgia

Just before I was officially diagnosed with fibromyalgia I decided to take up running. Despite it not necessarily being suggested as the ideal exercise for fibromyalgia, I've kept with it for about a month now. Three weeks longer than I've ever stuck with running in the past. Well at this point its more of walking/jogging, but you get the point. I've never been what you would call "coordinated" or "athletic". Most of the time I'm lucky if I can walk straight and not run into a wall. Lets just say I'd be bad at that sobriety test when I am sober.
As a kid gym was my least favorite class, especially when it was time for the President's Challenge (do they even do that anymore?). Remember it? You had to do a bunch of sit-ups, try to do pull-ups, see how far you could reach past your toes, and...run a mile. I could never do it, I'd have to walk a good portion of it. It was so embarrassing, especially when all the other girls in my class were stick thin soccer players (I was of course chubby too). Because of that I've always tried to get myself into running despite hating it. Finally I decided I'd need a reason to run, so I signed up for a 5k in July. I'm slowly getting better at it and I hope I'll be ready when the time comes for the race! Its going to be a bit harder for me since I'm one of those weird people who hates running outside and loves the treadmill(tv total, control of your speed, and being able to just stop whenever you want, who wouldn't love it?), so I have to get myself outside more to train.
So far it hasn't been too bad on the fibro. Some days I do notice more joint pain, especially in my hips and knees, but it has definitely given me more energy overall. We'll see if it helps in the long run, but I've actually been enjoying it, which is something I never thought I'd say. Has anyone else tried exercise to control their fibromyalgia? How has it worked for you?

5 comments:

  1. I seem to vaguely remember that Presidents Challenge program... something about it being a fairly big deal... that would have been back in the late 80s, and all during the 90s. Don't know if it exists anymore.

    I always thought that they should have revised the term "Fitness tests" to "Fitness evaluations," because it's not like the school was going to fail you for not being fit.

    Don't have fibro, but I'm thinking of starting up an exercise program with equipment & such. I've just been doing stretches at home & they really seem to help.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember the Presidents Challenge! Except I was a total jock in school. :)

    I am also struggling with vulvodynia/pudendal neuralgia and fibromyalgia. Sometimes I feel like I can run, but I can only do about a mile before my nerve screams and my muscles shriek. It's been really tough, because I used to run almost every day... now I'm down to yoga and swimming. Which is fine, but it's not quite the same.

    I used to hate running, but once you're in good shape and you get going, it can be incredibly addicting. Man, I miss those endorphins!

    Thanks for sharing your story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My doctor suspects me of having fibromyalgia but is still ruling out a degenerative disk in my lower back and any other causes of my pain. I too just started running. I am over 100 pounds over weight and wanted to work on getting healthier without focusing on being thin. I am hoping to be able to continue. I am up to run/walking a 5K with only hip pain the next day. My goal is a 10K next month.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know this is an old post but I have fibro and have been walk/jogging on and off and have really enjoy being outside with the sunshine. Since it don't wan to stress my body to much I do 1/2 sessions...I have walked a 2 5k and ran/walked a 5k placing 22 out of 33 in my age group(43).I did 11.48 minutes miles. The best part was that I felt good for having accomplished something. Keep going but don't over work your body ....and get out side.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Painful and puzzling, fibromyalgia primarily strikes women. Why? No one seems to know, for sure. And with details scarce about its cause and treatment, dealing with the condition can be frustrating, to say the least. Hopefully we can help with some of the answers.

    petadolex side effects

    ReplyDelete