Monday, July 6, 2009

Fibro Fog

The worst thing for me about fibromyalgia isn't the pain, that's a dull ache (when I have it) that I can deal with. No, its the fatigue and the "fibro fog". In general I'm a fairly intelligent person. I did pretty well in school and can hold my own in a conversation on a variety of topics. I'm also a trivia freak and love all kinds of random knowledge. But when the fibro fog/fatigue sets in I feel dumb as a box of rocks. It feels like my brain slows down and I can't process information, which is not fun at work, especially since I'm not sure how I'd explain it to my managers. "Sorry I seem like I'm sucking today, but I have fibromyalgia and its making me totally spaced out right now, if I could just go take a nap for about an hour I'll be ok". Yeah like that's ever going to happen. I just cannot focus on anything meaningful and if I didn't force myself, I'd probably just end up staring off into space for hours. Even as I write this I have to keep pushing myself to look back at the screen and finish the post. When this happens the best thing for me to do is take a nap, usually an hour, and my brain resets or something. However, we all know this won't fly at work, even though I feel like my brain is mush until I get some rest. I can't be helping anyone much in that state. It probably relates to not getting quality sleep, something about Alpha waves interrupting the deep Delta wave sleep, so I might have to try sleeping pills again. I've tried Ambien before and it worked well, but I don't want to get hooked on it and not be able to sleep without it. That wouldn't really be any better. Has anyone else figured out a good way to deal with this?

4 comments:

  1. I've heard some scary things about ambien, someone I know online uses it and well... he needs it but it has some pretty strong side effects that leak into the rest of his life...

    I wouldn't know what else to suggest though. Would your manager be willing to work with you to take an hour lunch break & then make up the hour at the end of the day? Or is that going to be too long of a day to handle?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah I've heard about all the freaky things people have done in their sleep with Ambien. I took it a few times without doing anything weird...that I know of. I do have Flexeril I'm going to try taking again, I've just been really groggy in the morning with it so it doesn't seem like that much help. But it does make me sleep.
    As far as work goes I'm not going to worry about it much. It's just a crappy retail job that I'll be leaving when I go to grad school soon, so I just have to power through a few more weeks. I'm not terribly concerned about my performance there, but I also don't want to seem like I don't care about it and get fired or something.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know what, I just had another thought. You may have tried this already since it's a pretty standard treatment for vulvodynia, but just in case -

    Have you ever tried a low dose of a tricyclic antidepressant? Not for your mood, but for your body. They are notorious for causing sleepyness as a side effect, & a low dose may be enough to ease some of your nerve pain.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was diagnosed as HEPATITIS B carrier in 2013 with fibrosis of the
    liver already present. I started on antiviral medications which
    reduced the viral load initially. After a couple of years the virus
    became resistant. I started on HEPATITIS B Herbal treatment from
    ULTIMATE LIFE CLINIC (www.ultimatelifeclinic.com) in March, 2020. Their
    treatment totally reversed the virus. I did another blood test after
    the 6 months long treatment and tested negative to the virus. Amazing
    treatment! This treatment is a breakthrough for all HBV carriers.

    ReplyDelete